What is a ‘Protective Blend’ ?
By blending several essential oils, you get the best of all of them in one bottle. This makes it easier for you to use because you do not have to mix the oils yourself – and – you may not have all of them on hand.
My favourite protective blend contains the essential oils of orange peel, clove, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus and rosemary. All in all, it is a refreshing and uplifting scent as well as its main purpose of “protection”.
*Caution: All essential oils are not created equal. Not all essential oils can be ingested. Make sure that the oils you are using are certified pure therapeutic grade and the label indicates that it/they are safe to take internally.
- Immunity Boost: During the winter months (or actually at any time), add some protective blend to your morning orange juice for an added immune boost along with that vitamin C.
- Keep those germs at bay: By diffusing a protective blend of essential oils you can be the person who never gets a sniffle after being exposed to all of those germs in schools, churches, sports arenas and any other crowded venue you can name. Just sayin’.
- Soothe a sore throat: By mixing 2 drops of a protective blend with 2 drops of a citrus oil (or a combination of citrus oils) — such as lemon, grapefruit, orange or bergamot — with one teaspoon of honey, you will soothe that sore throat in whatever season.
- Doggie smell in the car: Add a few drops of a protective blend to a cotton ball and stick it into the air vent in your car. Clean, refreshing air replaces that wet dog smell and boosts your immune system all at the same time.
Added hint: You can also add a few drops of protective blend to your furnace’s air filter for the same experience in your house.
- Refresh your carpets: Use one cup of baking soda with 15 drops of a protective blend. Sprinkle on your carpet and rake it through to get into all of those crevices. After an hour or so, vacuum it up. Oh, and don’t forget to enjoy the new fresh scent in your room.
- Ring around the bathtub: No more harsh chemicals to clean your bathtub. Mix 6 drops of protective blend in a cup of baking soda and scrub away.
- Don’t like the taste?: Add 2 drops of protective blend to a veggie capsule (very cheap at any health food store) and swallow with your beverage of choice. No taste for you but lots of benefit for your immune system.
- Oral health: Gargle with a mix of one drop of protective blend to a half a cup of water. This will numb some of the pain after dental work and/or relieve sore gums. If those areas are really sore, you can apply the blend directly to the tooth or gum for faster relief.
Added hint: Freshen your toothbrush by soaking it overnight in a small glass of water with 4 drops of protective blend.
- Garbage can woes: In a small spritzer bottle, mix 6-8 drops of a protective blend with water and spray in and around the garbage can to remove those odours.
- At the gym: Who wants to use a machine at the gym after another sweaty person? (Your sweat is OK – other’s – well not so much.) Use a spritzer mixture of 10-15 drops of protective blend and water and go to town on that machine.
Added hint: This is also a good choice for those often forgotten hiding places for germs – door handles, hand rails, faucet handles.