A little Spikenard trivia
- In ancient times, Spikenard was regarded as one of the most precious of oils, along with Frankincense and Myrrh, and often used in religious ceremonies.
- The plant is part of the Valerian family and grows at high altitudes in Nepal, China and India. It is highly regarded, particularly in India, for its medicinal properties, as a skin tonic and as a favourite ingredient in perfumes. Spikenard is also known as nard, nardin and muskroot.
- Back in the 1600s, it was one of the ingredients in a strong beer called Stingo.
- Spikenard blends well with lavender, petitgrain, myrrh, rose, frankincense, patchouli, vetiver and wild orange essential oils.
10 Everyday Uses for Spikenard Essential Oil
*Note: This article contains affiliate links.
Spikenard is one of the most esteemed and valuable oils for its multitude of beneficial properties. The essential oil is extracted from the roots of the plant by steam distillation. Some would say that this oil is comparable to Frankincense as one of the most versatile oils – because it is good for just about any ailment. Spikenard is definitely an oil that you want to have in your essential oil “toolkit”.
- Natural immune system booster: The everyday stress in life for all of us tends to make us feel “run down”. This is the perfect time to get an immune system boost from Spikenard essential oil. Diffuse the oil or simply rub into your skin. Regardless of the location that you apply the oil on your skin, your bloodstream takes it everywhere in your body – especially to the place you need it most.Note: If you experience any skin sensitivity you may want to dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil before applying.
- Alternative to chemical antibiotics: Spikenard will heal a cut quickly when directly applied and kill the accompanying bacteria in the wound. Not only will the direct application take effect, but the oil will also begin the fight against any other bacterial infection in other parts of your body. And — just as a side note — as any wound heals we often experience itching and once again it is Spikenard to the rescue.
- Those gleaming locks: Not only does Spikenard promote hair growth, but it also helps to slow the greying process, hence you retain your natural hair colour longer. The guys will love this one added to their shampoo because of that earthy (manly) scent. A win-win situation for all.
- Aromatherapy: The earthy / woodsy scent and grounding qualities help to induce mental peace and comfort to the heart and soul.
- Soothe that inflammation: Many diseases would not have a chance if the inflammation that started the course was alleviated. Inflammation is a danger to any part of your body. By rubbing Spikenard on the area of your distress (either full strength or diluted with a carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil), the essential oil will start going to work immediately in your bloodstream, traveling throughout your body. It fights inflammation anywhere in the body and in particular, the respiratory, digestive and nervous systems.
- Fresh and clean natural deodorant: Men in particular will enjoy the natural, mossy aroma. Add a few drops to your personal deodorant for that earthy fragrance.
- Insomnia: Right along with aromatherapy for the mental peace, Spikenard has sedating and relaxing effects that help to alleviate feelings of stress, depression, restlessness and anxiety, thereby allowing you to get that much needed sleep.
- Keeps things moving inside: By stimulating the digestive system, Spikenard keeps the body’s waste on the move (pardon the pun).
- Lady woes: That ‘time of the month’ can be a nightmare for some women. Spikenard helps to keep the menstrual cycle regular and can reduce PMS cramps and bloating. (Ahhh … it is lovely to be a woman …) Spikenard also stimulates the ovaries and uterus and the secretion of those all-important hormones – estrogen and progesterone.
- Glowing skin: Due to its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties you can use Spikenard to promote positive skin health and for any skin irritations .
- Help out your teenager’s acne blemishes by applying the oil directly on the offending spot. This will relieve and often eliminate those effects.
- Add Spikenard essential oil to your personal skin care products for a refreshing, youthful glow.
Methods to use Spikenard essential oil:
- Diffuse the oil for a calming effect. Bedtime is a choice time for diffusing the oil, but at any time of day, you can always benefit from Spikenard’s relaxation-inducing properties.
- Rubbing the oil, either full strength or diluted with fractionated coconut oil (or other carrier oil such as sweet almond oil on the temples, back of the neck and bottoms of your feet, will also work as a sleep aid.
- Add a drop or two to the palms of your hands and rub together. Then cup your hands over your nose and inhale deeply.
- A few drops in a warm bath will generate a relaxing experience.