Who has not suffered from stomach woes — either by overeating, eating the wrong thing or maybe a leisurely cruise in your friend’s boat gives you a bit of motion sickness?
A digestive blend of essential oils can be the quick answer. You can use the oils by rubbing a couple of drops of this blend, full strength or that has been diluted with a carrier oil. My preference for a carrier oil is fractionated coconut oil as it absorbs in seconds and leaves no greasy feel. Other natural choices might be olive oil, jojoba oil or avocado oil. You can also use the blend by adding a drop or two to your water or into a veggie gel cap to swallow.**
**Caution: All essential oils are not created equal. Not all essential oils can be ingested. Make sure that the oils you are using are certified pure therapeutic grade and the label indicates that it/they are safe to take internally.
What is a digestive blend?
A selection of essential oils known for their soothing effects on the digestive tract are mixed together to make this kind of blend. My favourite digestive blend contains Ginger Rhizome/Root, Peppermint Plant, Caraway Seed, Coriander Seed, Anise Seed,Tarragon Plant, and Fennel Seed essential oils, and I would not be without it!
10 Everyday Uses for a ‘Digestive Blend” of Essential Oils
- Car ride woes? If you have ever heard the phrase “I don’t feel well” from your child on a long car ride, then make a plan ahead to avoid this scenario at all costs. Create a homemade diffuser in the car. Add a few drops of your digestive blend of essential oils to a cotton ball and hang it near the air vent. Better yet, if you can, try stuffing it in one slot of the vent instead. This will diffuse the oils into the car and you may never hear those dreaded words.
- Avoid the dreaded dragon breath: It tasted wonderful at the time, but if your meal consisted of any of those strong choices like garlic, curry or onion, you might not be too crazy about it in the morning. Avoid that scenario by gargling with one or two drops of a digestive blend of oils in a half cup of water before bedtime to neutralize the effects. Your partner will thank you.
- Too busy to cook? Do you frequent fast food restaurants or those known as “greasy spoons”? The food tastes good at the onset, but you regret the whole experience later. Instead of reaching for that bottle of tablets that have been sitting in the medicine cabinet for eons, choose to rub a digestive blend of essential oils on your stomach area, or take a few drops in a veggie gel capsule to tame that angry tummy. This all natural remedy beats a tablet of chemicals every time!
- Your child has a tummy ache: Dilute a digestive blend of essential oils with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil and rub on his or her tummy. This will ease the discomfort and help them to get to sleep.
- Dairy is not your friend: If you are now feeling the effects of too much dairy, add a couple of drops of a digestive blend of essential oils to an inexpensive veggie gel capsule and take with some water.
- Motion Sickness: Whether you are taking a boat cruise, flying through turbulence, or took a ride on the carousel at the fair, you suddenly don’t feel very well. Rub some digestive blend on your stomach area, behind your ears or take in a veggie capsule to soothe that upset.
- Got a tension headache? A digestive blend to the rescue. Rub the blend along your temples, on the back of your neck and/or behind your ears to relieve the tension. This blend is not only to assist with your digestive needs.
- Eyes bigger than your stomach: Those fabulous meals at the holidays are wonderful – unless you indulged just a little too much. Massage some digestive blend on your stomach and/or take in a veggie capsule to restore your good feelings of the day.
- All blocked up: Prevent those situations and keep yourself regular. Drink your water with a drop of a digestive blend of oils or take a drop in a veggie gel capsule daily. It is said that prevention is part of the cure.
- Rubber ducky time: For a toddler who doesn’t like “medicine” of any sort, add a few drops of digestive blend to your child’s bathwater. This will support a healthy digestive system and it will be your secret.