Melaleuca (also known as Tea Tree oil) has been widely used for centuries for its antiseptic and anti-fungal properties. Here are just ten of the many uses for Melaleuca:
- For the skin:
- Avoid razor burn: Combine an equal number of drops of Melaleuca, Lavender and Frankincense essential oils with a teaspoon of fractionated coconut oil (or other carrier oil). Massage into the newly shaved area to avoid the dreaded razor burn.
- For minor skin irritations (like that pimple that appeared overnight), apply Melaleuca directly to the spot. To cover a larger area (like a rash) add a few drops of Melaleuca to Fractionated Coconut Oil and spread freely.
- Moisturizer enhancer: When you scoop your moisturizer onto your fingers to apply, add a drop of Melaleuca before applying to your face and neck. Your skin will thank you.
- Apply Melaleuca to small scrapes and cuts: Its antiseptic properties promote faster healing.
- Happy baby equals happy parent: For that diaper rash (or to avoid one), mix equal drops of Lavender, Frankincense and Melaleuca together with a teaspoon or more of fractionated coconut oil and smooth on the tender area.
- Oh that fiery sunburn: Use a mixture of fractionated coconut oil with a few drops of Melaleuca to soothe that burning skin. Continue to use every few hours to promote faster healing.
- Splinter removal: Place a drop of Melaleuca on and around a splinter. Leave for a minute or two to soften the skin and the splinter comes out easily.
- Bathroom cleaner: Clean the toilet and sink with a combination of 10 drops of Melaleuca, ½ cup of baking soda and ¼ cup of vinegar. No toxic chemicals in the air.
- Musty smell in the basement or laundry room: Add a few drops of Melaleuca to a cotton cloth and hang near the furnace vent. As the air is pushed out into the room through the vent it will pass through the cloth and get rid of the musty smell.
Added tip: A few drops of Melaleuca with your laundry detergent will provide a fresher wash for your clothes.
- Homemade anti-bacterial wipes:
- Cut a roll of paper towel roll in half and place one half in a storage container like an old margarine tub.
- Mix together 2 cups warm (not hot) water, 2 tablespoons Fractionated Coconut Oil and 3 drops each of Melaleuca and Lavender.
- Pour liquid over the paper towel roll, soaking it.
- When the liquid is absorbed, remove the cardboard roll from the centre.
- Cut a slit in the lid of the plastic tub.
- From the centre of the roll of wet paper towels, grab the start of the roll and feed the wipes through the slit in the lid.
- Cover the container with the lid and you have a new container of antiseptic wipes with no chemicals.
- Refresh your mattress: When you change your sheets, spritz a combination of Melaleuca and water on your mattress before putting on the clean sheets.
- Boost your immune system: At bedtime, rub Melaleuca onto the soles of your feet. (You may want to mix with some fractionated coconut oil for greater coverage.) This absorbs quickly into the body through the large pores in the soles of the feet and within minutes is making its way through your blood stream to protect your whole body.
- Toenail fungus eliminator: Rub Melaleuca directly on the toenails and surrounding skin of the toes. The antiseptic properties of Melaleuca go to work right away fighting that fungus. You will need to repeat this process over a period of days or weeks depending on the severity of the toenail fungus.
Added tip: Follow this same process if you suffer from athlete’s foot (or your feet sweat heavily in running shoes), or you are a frequent user of public swimming pools, gyms or other high traffic areas where dampness likes to make a home. Spritz your shoes with a Melaleuca and water mix and leave them to air overnight to kill bacteria in your running shoes.